Thursday, December 1

My fav TV shows

I love TV. Maybe its because I'm a product of the 80's/90's when TV was all we had (pre-internet, people). Maybe its because I have to have SOMETHING playing in the background while I grade piles of papers on the weekends. Maybe its because I like good ol' fashioned entertainment. These are a few of my faves...


Dancing With the Stars (DWTS as I like to call it). Here's why: I grew up taking tap and ballet classes, so dance has always been a part of me. I love watching people (celebrities) go from zero skills to beautiful dancers with intricate footwork and flowing arms to match. This past season was one of the best ones yet. With Rob Kardashian, J.R. Martinez, and Ricki Lake as the finalists, I literally did not care who won. They all made such amazing transformations throughout the season that they all deserved that sparkly mirror ball trophy. Turning point when I knew this show was for me: I cry when certain celebs are finally voted off: most recently Ricki Lake was the recipient of my tears. Lucky gal. They don't come around too often.



Revenge. Here's why: I like the main character (Emily VanCamp) because I first saw her star as a teacher in a made-for-TV-movie last year. As cheesy/cliche' as most made-for-TV-movies are, her character reminded me a lot of myself my first year of teaching. Inadequate. Clumsy. Idealistic. So when abc began blaring the previews for fall's new shows all over the place, I thought I'd give Revenge a try. It seemed the most mysterious/enjoyable compared side-by-side with Pan Am (eh...) and Charlie's Angels (flop). I also wanted to see Connor Paolo from Gossip Girl in a different role. He's pulling it off. Turning point when I knew this show was for me: VanCamp plays a character who most viewers could easily despise, yet she does it in such a way that doesn't put you off. It makes you want to be on her side - cheer for her - as she seeks to reconcile her father's wrongful fate with the monsters who got away with it all.



Criminal Minds. Here's why: My brother has been a diehard viewer since the very beginning. I joined in two seasons ago when he convinced me it was a "good show." Now most women would not trust their brothers' suggestions for "good" TV. However, my brother and I are sort of a different breed. We have pretty similar taste in most things, and we usually trust each others' judgment. Here's the deal: Criminal Minds is dark. Scary. Creepy. Makes-you-look-over-your-shoulder type stuff. SO I grudgingly decided to watch with him on one condition: that he would watch it with me because it was too scary for me to watch solo. Turning point when I knew this show was for me: My brother moved out, leaving me all alone to brave Criminal Minds on my own. I kept watching - not for the gruesome, freak-you-out type criminal stories, but for the layered, round, intertwining, moving story lines of the team you see above. They function as a family. There for each other when life gets tough: sick spouses, death, skeletons in the closet coming to the surface without warning/notice, reveling in grief (personal and professional), etc. I love their candid honesty with each other - especially Dr. Spencer Reid's Aspberger-esque comments. Finally, each show begins and ends with a quote of some kind, and as an English teacher, who wouldn't love that?



Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Here's why: Because my life is nothing like these ladies'. It serves as a complete escape from anything remotely close to MY reality. Turning point when I knew this show was for me: I was flipping through the channels one Saturday when I was home alone, doing laundry, cleaning house. I needed a good marathon to get me through. SEVEN HOURS LATER...I was still glued to the TV watching the drama of season one unfold. Sheesh.

What TV shows are at the top of your fav list? Get you through your busy work week? Give you that feel-good-feeling in your gut?


No comments:

Post a Comment