Friday, December 16

Perspective

People often ask me how I can work at a school like I do. They always say, "No offense, but isn't it a little depressing to be around those kind of kids?" I typically respond with a question like, "What kind of kids?" to which they generally reply, "You know - tough, unmotivated kids from tough neighborhoods - like the one where your school is." I always try to tell them how great our kids are; that despite some tough ones we also have tons of really good ones who show up everyday, work hard in every class, and try to make something better for themselves. I also remind them that we have chosen this path because we believe that it is worth it to make the effort to help kids try and make a better life for themselves. Not only because it makes their life better, but because it makes the life of the people around them - brothers and sisters, moms andads - better, and it has the potential to make the lives of their children and grandchildren better. How many other careers can you say that about?
I go home exhausted most nights as I know most if not all of you do as well. Exhausted from standing in the gap between the next generation of poverty and success. Exhausted from trying to figure out why its not yet working for this kid or that kid. Exhausted from dealing with the emotional weight of trying to fix what's broken with limited time, resources, and constant pressure from outside our building to do it better, faster. This is hard work. Nothing good is easy. Nothing worthwhile comes from coasting. We have chosen this responsibility because we believe we can still change the world one child at a time.
As you finish 2011, and you prepare to celebrate the holidays with your friends and families, remember as you start to join in the complaining about "what's wrong" with education today (and believe me, the list is long), remind yourselves that what you do everyday is part of "what's right." You might be the only person who reminds students that they matter, and what happens to them matters. You might be the only one who speaks kindly to them and calls them by their name rather than "Hey, you." You are what's right with education today. Your courage and willingness to "gut it out" are what motivates me to get up everyday and come back to a school like this one, roll up my sleeves, anwade through the muck beside you again and again.
I will celebrate this holiday with my friends and family secure in the knowledge that what we do matters and look forward to starting 2012 with such a dedicated group of professionals striving to help kids make their lives better. May God bless you and your families with laughter, good food, rest, and peace this Christmas.
This letter was in my teacher mailbox this morning. My Assistant Principal wrote it. It confirms that I have one of the greatest jobs in the world. My bosses truly care about our "work" (students) and the people who do the work (teachers). I could not be more grateful. If you are a teacher - thank you! I am proud to call myself a teacher alongside you. Hats off to the extremely intricate, detailed, individualized work you do everyday. If you're not a teacher - be one of the few to stand up for those of us who are "what's right."

Cheers to Christmas Break 2011-2012...



1 comment:

  1. love this! and that's funny you called it schlog. that's weird but still probably better than DUMP cake! :)

    ReplyDelete